Skip to main content

Gurgaon - A city with a bad reputation

After spending a little over 4 months in this city, I think it is time for a comparative post like the one I did for Melbourne . So here goes…

The first thing that almost everyone said when I mentioned that I was moving to Gurgaon, was, “Oh gosh! Why? It is not safe! You will definitely come running back!” The supporters of the city were few and far between. These are people who have read the news reports; visited the city sporadically, or visited ‘Gurgawa’ which is the older rustic part of the city. For sake of convenience, I will refer to the newly developed part, which is where I live and work.




To anyone who first visits this city, it does indeed look like a swanky, fast-paced symbol of 21st century India. As you drive by the glitzy glass offices that house some of the biggest organizations in the world, you imagine yourself working and / or doing some business here. The metro line running overhead is reassurance that you are in a city with public transport of international standards. There are malls with all the big international brands advertising their wares. This is probably a feeling that you would get when entering the Central Business District of most large international cities like Sydney, New York, Dubai, Shanghai etc. All in varying degrees obviously! So, Gurgaon scores high on the ‘awe’ scale, in comparison to, say, Mumbai, where all you see and smell is the small shanties that are everywhere you look as you enter. 

As you continue to move a little more in to the city, you realize that the metro line disappears, the buildings get less impressive and the roads get worse. So, the sheen wares off and the reality of most emerging cities in India hits you! 

One will find it difficult to manage without some form of personal transport, as the public transport is almost non-existent with a few over-full buses plying and the metro connecting only a small part of the city. The radio taxis and auto rickshaws are an expensive alternative. In comparison, Mumbai has public transport that goes to practically every nook and cranny of the metropolis.

The city is known for its gun culture, and a gun-related murder is reported every week. After a recent shootout in a Gurgaon hospital a leading news opinion reported that, “it isn’t safe to get into an argument anymore given you don’t know if your opponent is carrying a gun”. Even though there was a fear of being caught in the middle of freak riots, political demonstrations and bomb blasts in Mumbai, one never ever feared getting shot over a petty argument! 

The people from this part of India are said to have the harshest tongue and the hottest head. Well, I would tend to agree with that, but at the same time, would say that I have come across some who have been kind in both word and deed. Also, there are enough people here from all over the country and world to balance the equation. I got the necessary help and support when setting up house, and, the unnecessary abuses and aggressive gestures for being the only one to follow traffic rules on the road. In Mumbai, you will probably meet similar kinds, but with no time to help or abuse!

This is a city where the farmers became millionaires overnight by selling their land, and business men are making a killing selling to them and clients who are used to paying in dollars. So, it is not unusual to see this money being flaunted. The residences are big and extravagant, with at least one luxury car parked in the garage. There are shopping malls all across the city selling almost all international brands of foods, cosmetic, apparel and accessories. The price of everything here ranges from expensive, more expensive to even more expensive. On the other hand, Mumbai is a city that accommodates lifestyles of any budget.

With so much open space available, the town planners have made good use of this wherever possible. The roads are wide, so travel is fast and you can reach most parts of the city in less than an hour. Every residential complex has one or more parks / playgrounds, which is a rare sight in Mumbai. There are a couple of large bio-diversity parks in the city, which is assurance that the authorities here value a good ‘walk in the park’. The houses here are big, even if it is a one bedroom apartment, so I feel good that I can stretch my arms in my 3 bedroom house without touching any of the walls. I also enjoy walking around the housing society I live in or on the roads, without having to dodge a sea of humanity!

I can see that Gurgaon is in a transition phase and a drastic change is needed, be it in the way it is managed, the law and order, the public transport and the people’s attitude towards it. There are things I like about it, and things I don’t, just like any other city I have lived in. I don’t know if I am going to be here forever, but as long as I am here, I am going to try and enjoy it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

8 tips for first-time trekkers

"Let's go on a trek to the Himalayas!" , who knew these innocent words of my brother in law in April 2014 would land us in one of the most beautiful places on earth and give us some of the most memorable experiences of our lives a year later! Last month (May 22, 2015), he and I embarked on our first high-altitude trek in the Himalayas to Rupin Pass  - 15250ft above sea level, 60+ Kms over 8 days. It was a very well organized trek by India Hikes , one of the oldest trekking companies in India. While a detailed post on our experiences is due, I thought a list (to add to the many I see on my Facebook timeline) of things to remember / do as a first-time trekker might be useful. These are based on our experiences and learning, and is by no means a conclusive guide. The Climb up to the Upper Waterfall 1.  Physical Training before is an absolute must: Treks are physically demanding on the body which means you need to keep yourself in reasonably good shape before yo

Embracing the New Normal - The 'Unlock' mindset

The last few months have been anything but normal for each of us. A tiny virus that is not seen or heard, has completely disrupted our lives and plans. The many weeks (in some cases months) of complete lockdown, loss of livelihoods, critical illnesses, and death, has shaken many of us to the core.  With the ‘Unlock’ rules came a bit of relief and a few of us started moving about, but our normal ways of existence have been reimagined in every way possible. Many of us moved out easily and adapted to this new normal. However, there are still many who are still coming to terms with this new way of life. They are probably Anxious as the virus is still continuing to spread; Angry about the way others are flouting the rules of social distancing and wearing of masks; Stressed about the new changes and adapting to a new normal; or, even Confused about why the rules have been relaxed and if they should follow the others as they move about. Post the complete lockdown, I have been bold enough

8 ways to say I love you!

A proposal for marriage is expected to be romantic, well planned, and equally well executed. Around 9 years ago, I proposed to the love of my life and it was epic (self-declared)! I have narrated the story of my day-long, themed proposal multiple times, and with 8 years of us being married, I thought for posterity sake, I should document it somewhere...so here goes! It was the September of 2010, when the planning began, and I was sure that I did not want my proposal to be a simple Hollywood style one - with a formal dinner at a fancy restaurant and then the one knee and ring proposal! That one moment would not be able to capture how I felt, so well, I came up with a theme - ‘8 ways to say I love you!’. As it suggests, I used 8 different ways to profess my love to my girlfriend of 8 years! How this unfolded, we shall find out.  Before I started executing my plan, I wanted to get the permission and blessings of both our parents. So without her knowledge, I went over to her place and in