Skip to main content

The first time is always magical!


The first experience of anything is always magical. If it is an experience that has given you a sense of accomplishment, then it etches a memory that is so vivid that it makes you feel like gold every time you think of it. In the last year or so, I was fortunate enough to experience some such ‘firsts’ that have motivated me lead a healthier life. Below is a summary of these moments.

Rupin Pass Trek.
Start of a Journey: It all started last spring with an intent to participate in an activity that would not only be fun but also mean pushing my existing physical fitness limits – which at that point was abysmal. I enrolled on my first professionally organized high-altitude trek to Rupin Pass (15250ft, 60+ Kms over 8 days). Climbing an elevation of 2000 feet every day in high-altitude is not easy, what makes it tougher is a 10+ Kg backpack. The motivation of completing the trek pushed me to achieve the required fitness level of being able to run 4.5 Kms in 30 minutes. At the top of the pass, the sense of achievement of being able to push my limits was a feeling that I hadn’t felt in a long time! This was the beginning of a year of ‘firsts’. Read more about it here.

Next Level of Fitness: A year back, I couldn’t have imagined registering for a race, let alone a multi-discipline endurance one – hiking, cycling and rafting. The Aquaterra Challenge is a one-of-a-kind multi-activity race (24 Kms hiking, 26 Kms mountain biking and 24 Kms rafting) that is organized in the northern state of Uttarakhand, India, in the month of December. Hindustan Coca-Cola Beverages (HCCBPL) had registered 2 teams of 4 to participate in last year’s race. After a series of fitness tests conducted by a qualified instructor in our corporate office gymnasium, 8 associates were selected to represent the company. We were ranked according to our performance on the tests and separated as the ‘A and B teams’. I was in the ‘B team’ (no prizes for guessing why!) and, our technique was to be slow and steady and not come last! At the end of the first day’s hike, we were able to stay a few ranks behind our ‘A team’. On the second day, our team really came in to its own and took a small lead over the ‘A Team’ in the biking leg. We further increased that in the rafting leg. Being able to out-rank our ‘A team’ in the final rankings was like winning the gold!

Gurgaon Cyclothon
New areas to explore: As I continued my fitness regime, I needed new goals to keep me motivated. I started discussing running, cycling and other workout regimes with office colleagues. After cycling a few times together with a colleague in HCCB, the two of us decided to register for a 32 Kms cycling race (Cyclothon) in the mountain bike category. We had previously only done a few leisurely rides of this distance, albeit with multiple stops. So, to compete in a race of this distance seemed like a daunting task. We pushed ourselves and completed the race with minimal / no stops. Our feeling of gold came when we realized that we had done it within a respectable time.


Coca-Cola Gurgaon Half Marathon
For bragging rights: It was the ‘Road to Rio Challenge’ a stepping challenge organized for Coca-Cola employees globally that motivated me to keep going, and push towards my next test of physical fitness – a half marathon. It was not just any marathon, but the ‘Coca-Cola Gurgaon Half Marathon’. After a year of regular physical activity, I knew that I would be able to endure the 21 Kms. The only consideration was the weather – hot and humid, which meant a race start time of 5 AM! I am not a morning person and prefer doing my running in the evenings. So the fact that I woke up before the crack of dawn and completed the marathon in the existing weather conditions, not only gave me a feeling of gold but also bragging rights!

Each of these experiences had its own set of challenges. At the end of each of them I ended up being fitter both mentally and physically!

Comments

  1. I envy you bro and am proud of you. Keep going and follow your heart with no regrets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks! Who is this? Your name is showing as unknown!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

8 tips for first-time trekkers

"Let's go on a trek to the Himalayas!" , who knew these innocent words of my brother in law in April 2014 would land us in one of the most beautiful places on earth and give us some of the most memorable experiences of our lives a year later! Last month (May 22, 2015), he and I embarked on our first high-altitude trek in the Himalayas to Rupin Pass  - 15250ft above sea level, 60+ Kms over 8 days. It was a very well organized trek by India Hikes , one of the oldest trekking companies in India. While a detailed post on our experiences is due, I thought a list (to add to the many I see on my Facebook timeline) of things to remember / do as a first-time trekker might be useful. These are based on our experiences and learning, and is by no means a conclusive guide. The Climb up to the Upper Waterfall 1.  Physical Training before is an absolute must: Treks are physically demanding on the body which means you need to keep yourself in reasonably good shape before yo

Embracing the New Normal - The 'Unlock' mindset

The last few months have been anything but normal for each of us. A tiny virus that is not seen or heard, has completely disrupted our lives and plans. The many weeks (in some cases months) of complete lockdown, loss of livelihoods, critical illnesses, and death, has shaken many of us to the core.  With the ‘Unlock’ rules came a bit of relief and a few of us started moving about, but our normal ways of existence have been reimagined in every way possible. Many of us moved out easily and adapted to this new normal. However, there are still many who are still coming to terms with this new way of life. They are probably Anxious as the virus is still continuing to spread; Angry about the way others are flouting the rules of social distancing and wearing of masks; Stressed about the new changes and adapting to a new normal; or, even Confused about why the rules have been relaxed and if they should follow the others as they move about. Post the complete lockdown, I have been bold enough

8 ways to say I love you!

A proposal for marriage is expected to be romantic, well planned, and equally well executed. Around 9 years ago, I proposed to the love of my life and it was epic (self-declared)! I have narrated the story of my day-long, themed proposal multiple times, and with 8 years of us being married, I thought for posterity sake, I should document it somewhere...so here goes! It was the September of 2010, when the planning began, and I was sure that I did not want my proposal to be a simple Hollywood style one - with a formal dinner at a fancy restaurant and then the one knee and ring proposal! That one moment would not be able to capture how I felt, so well, I came up with a theme - ‘8 ways to say I love you!’. As it suggests, I used 8 different ways to profess my love to my girlfriend of 8 years! How this unfolded, we shall find out.  Before I started executing my plan, I wanted to get the permission and blessings of both our parents. So without her knowledge, I went over to her place and in